Given how early in the season it is I’m surprised at how many people are on the shuttle this morning. (Assiniboine Lodge 29km down the trail only opened their doors for the 2014 season two days ago!) But, sunshine meadows is considered world class hiking, and for good reason.
- Proximity! 20 minutes drive from Banff.
- Accessibility! Park at Sunshine base and take the shuttle up to Sunshine Village ski area for $27 round trip ($15 one way). It’ll save you 6km each way on a boring switchbacking skidoo trail. Well worth the price.
- Within 2 km you get lakes, waterfalls, larch stands, wildflowers, and mountain views from the Great Divide, of Quartzite Col, Mount Assiniboine “the Matterhorn of the Rockies”, the Monarch; beauty in every season and at every turn.
- Infrastructure! Sunshine Lodge is open with washroom, café and merchandise.
- Wildlife! Common to see lots of sheep, deer, and goats by the waterfall and along the road. We saw lots of little babies too.
We were intending to do Citadel Pass but decided on a somewhat gentler day given the conditions, the forecast and our desire to just relax in this awesome setting today.